Re: Sephardic instrumental music

OK, Owen, please continue your thought. That they must have carried the
instrumental work over into their Jewish life? That they likely did? If
three generations of pre-expulsion Sephardim used the hammered dulcimer
(which was the source of the original EM question) I would be fascinated to
learn that! I would never be so bold as to say, "that isn't traditional."
Who better than tradition-bearers to change the tradition!! I am just
really leery about leaping to conclusions about performance practices, etc.
based on modern-day intution. That's why you get performers such as the
Renaissance Players interjecting Balkan village music performance practices
into some of their Sephardic renditions (_totally_ ahistoric) and a slew of
EM groups doing this. The original question EM question was an inquiry
about the tradition, so I was trying to answer it in that vein.

I love many of the EM versions of Sephardic music; it was my entree into
the music 20+ years ago, etc., etc. These are durable songs and can be
performed many different ways. Let a klezmer band tuck into a rollicking
version of a Sephardic song, and I say, gazintaheit. As long as the
performers make no claims for authenticity, I have no problems at all. But
when EM groups do Sephardic music, to it can take on the flavor of those
1970s novelty albums like "The Beatles Go Baroque", or some such. This is
Judith R. Cohen's area of expertise, I'll send her out a lifeline question
on this. (Sorry if our Canadians and overseas readers don't get the game
show reference...)

Anyway, to bed.

The equally without academic standing Joel.

P.S. By the way, just cuz someone is proficient in professional
(non-Jewish) musicmaking, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will
carry it over into their Jewish life, does it...Somehow I never pictured
Daniel Barenboim sitting down at the piano and being the life of the party
at a Bar Mitzvah.