Re: Sephardic instrumental music

Hi, all. Sorry for the time away on the topic, but I thought to wait until
I had something substantive to add. I re-read pats of Pamela J Dorn's,
"Change and Ideology: The ethnomusicology of Turkish Jewry", May 1991,
Ph.D. thesis, Indiana University.

For those that want the summary: She confirms that there is no documented
purely instrumental Sephardic tradition. However, I overstated the lack of
a Sephardic tradition of instrumental accompaniment - she suggests this
primarily vocal tradition could indeed have been accompanied in
non-synagogue (paraliturgic or other) settings. I apologize to the list for
getting this wrong.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this thread and hope that others have as well.

Best,

Joel

pp. 140-141:

"We can only speculate about the actual musical features of Sephardic
Jewish music in Spain in the fifteenth century. Published and
musically-notated song collections are recent developments in the Sephardic
world. They made their apppearance in the twentieth century. We do know,
however, that a large number of Jews setled in Andalusia, the southern
portion of Spain, where musical influcences were predominantly Arab. Arabic
instruments such as the Oud (transliterated spelling from the Arabic; a
lute) the nai (end-blown, reed flute; similar to the Turkish ney), qanun
(similar to the Turkish Kanun), def (tambourine) were used in this region
of Spain prior to the fifteenth century. European musicologists such as
Farmer (1930,1929) and Ribera (1927) speculate that a strong connection
exists between these instrument and their European Renaissance counterparts
such as the lute, recorder, virginal and tambourine.

The Sephardic Jewish musical tradition in Spain was primarily a song
tradition, as it has remained in successive centuries until our own times.
If there had been a purely instrumental Sephardic music in Spain, no
documentation has surfaced to tell us about it. Only songs have remained in
the oral tradition. Sometimes these songs are accompanied by instruments
and other times, they are performed without accompaniment.

p. 159

"...there is no ban on the use of instruments in paraliturgical events such
as weddings. "

"Instrumental accompaniment could be utilized outside of the religious
contaxt: at home, in a concert hall, for picnics or in the recording
studio. Ud and kanun were perhaps the most popular instruments used for
teaching and rehearsal purposes by Sephardic rabbis." (JB note: but of
course, they could not be used as accompaniment in a synagogue setting on
the Sabbath or holidays.)

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com