Re: Sephardic instrumental music

Joel,

Let me tell you of a suspicion that I have which is based on neither research
(which I have not done) nor Academic Standing, (of which have I none).

I do love and have studied musical instruments in their evolution and in their
contribution to the various musical cultures that surround, engender, and inform
them.

Everything I have learned about the use of instruments in music indicates that
the
instrument is an appliance, a mute enabler or potentiator, whose method of use
is
informed by the societal need it serves.  Only when the use of a certain
instrument
is proscribed, for whatever reason, does it fall into question on a cultural
level.

Music lives in its own self, and is served and embellished by whatever physical
artifacts are to hand.  If three generations of Hawaiian Jews sing zmiros to the
chuckling strains of a ukulele, then there is a case for traditional acceptance.
Only in the dire and unpredictable case of a halakhic proscription should we
refrain from our rejoicing, with whatever tool we have to hand.

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided oer my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy & Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake