Re: Russian Tango

sophie solomon wrote:

> Hi
> This isn't strictly a Jewish music enquiry...but I'm hoping that someone can
> help me to shed some light....
> I'm trying to discover the origin of the tango,'Utomlyennie
> Sol'ntsem',(Burnt by the Sun), that forms the theme music for Nikita
> Mikhalkov's movie of the same name.  Does anyone know whether this is a
> traditional song, or if it was written specifically for the movie?  I am
> somewhat confused since an arrangement of the piece appears on Gidon
> Kremer's Homage a Piazolla cd (HIGHLY recommended by the way....) which is
> credited to one Jerzy Peterbushsky....
> Any pointers gratefully received!!
> Sophie

Dear Sophie,

This tango was not written specifically for the movie, it's a tango of
30's the first performer of which was a famous Russian singer Vadim
Kozin. Also this tango has been performed by Joseph Kobzon (by the way
he is a Jew). By the way, Constantine Vanshenkin, a Russian writer and
Kobzon's friend, wrote that the name of Mikhalkov's movie sounds like in
the kapustnik (a satirical show). It was in Vanshenkin's memoirs in
Znamya magazine (unfortunately, I don't remember Znamya website now, but
this magazine has a website. You can search in Russian systems Rambler
or Yandex with a keyword Vanshenkin).

Best regards,
Sophia,
Russia