Re: Achron

Sophie writes:
<<Jascha Heifetz violin encore folio (published by Carl Fischer)...Joseph
Achron's Hebrew Melody (opus 33) transcribed for violin by Heifetz...I can
send you a copy of the sheet music if you'd like>>

Actually, Achron originally wrote Hebrew Melody for violin, which makes
sense, since he was a virtuoso violinist himself. Achron and Heifetz both
studied with Leopold Auer.
There's a photo in the liner notes to the CD "Stempenyu - the Violin Music
of Joseph Achron" (violinist Hagai Shaham - a wonderful recording, I
recommend it). This photo shows Leopold Auer with several of his students,
including, amongst others, Achron, Heifetz, Sergei Rachmaninoff and Efrem
Zimbalist.

What you have could be an edition *edited* by Heifetz (i.e. his bowing,
fingering, dynamic marks etc.), since it was his encore folio. My Shar
catalog only lists two items of sheet music for Achron, both published by
Carl Fischer. One is Hebrew Lullaby edited by Heifetz. The other is Hebrew
melody edited by Auer. These are both available today and are very
inexpensive. As has been pointed out by others recently on this list, it's
better to buy the sheet music than to make photocopies. Shar has a website
at http://www.sharmusic.com. Carl Fischer may also have a website.
Probably, there are many fine sheet music stores that could supply this music.

I've got other points to make about Hebrew Melody, but haven't time just
now. If time allows later...

Matt