Re: john zorn's camo pants?

----- Original Message -----
From: Ari Davidow <ari (at) ivritype(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2000 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: john zorn's camo pants?

> At 12:54 AM 4/5/00 +0200, you wrote:
> >
> >Sorry, I'm not a proctologist, but I've never seen John Zorn live.
> >How does a camo pant look like?
> >Michal
>
> Camo pants would be "camoflague pants"--those casual green or mottled
green pants that one picks up in this country at military surplus shops. The
couple of times I've seen him, tzitzis have been stylishly arranged to hang
out, as well. I'm not unsympathetic to the idea of important ritual items
used for artistic effect, but it is sometimes unsettling. (I presume style
vs. religious feeling because I don't recall him wearing either kippah, or
other head covering.)

> ari

Perhaps it isn't style.  We have a friend in London who doesn't wear a
kippah and does wear tzitzis, but not showing.  We only know that he wears
tzitzis because, when he's been in New York, we've taken him shopping to buy
summer-weight tzitzis that he can't find in London.  It isn't a matter of
style with him, so I have to accept that is a reflection of his religious
sensibility.