RE: In defense of the recorder

>This was not one little fact, and it wasn't ripped out of context.

Matt, my impression is that you are a musician and not a scholar and thus
have no basis to check whether what you heard third-hand is accurate or
not.  You also have no means to know whether the fact you heard third-hand
was or wasn't ripped out of context.

As a longtime scholar of Eastern European Jewish culture, I can tell you
that the general statement you made can not be made about the country of
"Poland" "at the turn of the century".  I have researched Yiddish music,
specifically sources and dissemination of musical repertoire in Poland, but
not klezmer bands per se.  I have never interviewed Mr. Hescheles, but have
heard about him from several people who have worked with him.  I won't say
scholars who have interviewed him, because I also know of non-scholars who
have interviewed him, people who like to be thought of as scholars, but
that doesn't make them such, e.g., Michael Schlesinger of Global Village.
  I don't remember what city Mr. Hescheles comes from, (Itsik I am sure
remembers), but whatever Mr. Hescheles had to say, he said out of his
personal experience, from his town and his place.  If anyone is taking
those statements and making general conclusions about all of Poland or even
the whole region, then that person doesn't know what he or she is doing and
is either a bad scholar or a bad listener to a good scholar.  No general
statements can be made about Poland, because there were no national music
guilds or even provincial (=in Polish and Yiddish called 'gubernye') ones.
  What may have happened in certain sections of Warsaw or Vilna had no
reflection to what happened anywhere else in Poland and Lithuania,
including Lodz and Cracow.  Same goes for small towns or even large towns.
 What happened in cities of 5,000 or 40,000 people did not necessarily
reflect what went on in Vilna between 1939.  Vilna was unique, Warsaw was
unique and Lodz was unique in yet other ways.   I can tell you that
historians who have written on guilds cite very, very few music guilds and
the information about them is very sparse.  I am sorry that I can cite
details for you, because I have not looked into those books in some years.
 I can tell you that artist unionization happened rather late and the word
"artisan" should not be confused with "artist" and the history of
non-Jewish minstrel guilds in medieval times does not necessarily reflect
on formal associations of Jewish musicians after 1900.

>Polish klezmer scene early in the 20th c.

You have to remember that this is a time before mass communication, radio,
phonograph, TV or even a national train service.   Forget about cars.
  Whatever is happening musically is happening locally and klezmer
musicians would travel by horse and wagon if not walk to gigs in the local
towns around them.  Even between the world wars, travel for musical bands
didn't get much farther.  Large towns may have had their set of bands that
staked out their local territory and may have determined what their
musicians played, but no one could tell the band(s) of the next set of
towns what it could or couldn't play or which instruments were best and
appropriate.  Tradition, local taste and musical creativity determined what
got played at weddings and simkhes.  New repertoire were brought into towns
by political groups, or, if one was lucky to get them in your town, roving
theater troupes, or perhaps by mailed sheet music if one had the
wherewithal to learn of them, no less procure them from the capitol or from
other countries.  But there was no one musical association that could tell
every musician which instruments to exclude.  If a new instrument was
acquired, improved, or mastered by musicians in a local region, it might
have become the local rage and the parents of the bride or maybe the rabbi
might ask musicians to use that instrument; or maybe not to use instruments
associated with the Russian army.  Remember, the Russian army, which even
kidnapped children and young men off the streets and kept them in the army
for 25 years without providing for your Jewish needs, was not popular among
the Jewish folk.  The 1904-5 pogroms didn't improve this relationship
either.  But to make a statement that the musicians insisted that "brass
and all but the best clarinetists were being kept rigorously out of the
kapelyes in Poland" can not have any documentary evidence that would allow
anyone to make such a statement.  It may be that musicians in Lodz learned
to unionize from their brethern in the textile factories at the turn of the
century, but their dominion could apply only to their city and maybe, maybe
to the little towns outside of the Lodz, but that is as far as their power
could be enforced.  The repertoire that was played in the Yiddish theater
and music halls of Warsaw had the greatest influence on what happened
outside of Warsaw.  However, influence created by the burgeoning Jewish
creativity and spirit has nothing to do with force and prohibition.  How
would a guild in let's theoretically say, Warsaw, determine what happened
in Kojenitz, or Brod or Wengerove?  Poland at the turn of the century or
even before the WWII does not have this organized centralized government
that one finds in, for example, France or Communist Russia.   Anyone who
would suggest this, doesn't know Polish or Jewish history.

The fact is that musicians had no political or economic mechanisms with
which to force musical taste, preferences, or repertoire nationally or
regionally.  What the rabbis may have discouraged in popular taste is a
whole different matter and their role in all this has not been raised by
anyone yet.  If anything, the German and Russian government power in Poland
from 1900-1939 had very strict rules about everything and anything
involving public performances and their continuously changing edicts were a
constant source of frustration, which required a lot of smarts to negotiate
and overcome.  In fact, there are many stories of Yiddish theatrical
troupes in Warsaw presenting one or two performances in one spot and
running elsewhere for the location with the authorities on their backs
because German was not the language of performance.   At other times, the
troupes put up German language ads to advertise a play, and sometimes even
daytshmerish would be used to begin the play, but as soon as the
authorities left, the actors switched to Yiddish.  I don't know if rules
about instrumentation were set in these particular cases, simply because I
was not looking for such information at the time, but it is possible that
rules about them were also set in the long list.  However, if governmental
edicts included prohibitions of particular instruments, no one has raised
this issue or brought any evidence.  But then that would apply only to the
major cities/city and not to all of Poland anyway.

I strongly doubt whether Mr. Hescheles ever attempted to make general
statements about Poland.  I have not read Zev Feldman's writing, but I also
doubt that he has written the statement you attribute to him.  If Mr.
Hescheles is making such statements, then he is a lonely man who knows that
there is no one to challenge the stuff he is feeding his many interviewers.
 He knows that as long as he provides his interviewers unique information,
they will come to visit and brighten the day of a 90+ year old man.  As a
ethnographer with heavy training in oral research, I can tell that, no
matter how wonderful a person your informant is, and no matter how much
s/he may love you, an informant tells you very different things if that
person knows that you have no one else with whom to check the information
s/he is telling you.  The last living informant on any subject can be as
sloppy as s/he wants to be, by omission or commission, intentionally or
unintentionally.  We have seen this happen many, many times.  I am told
that Mr. Hescheles is a very interesting person.  But if he is saying these
things, then I would say that he might have been an excellent informant 20
or 30 years ago, but after so many young ga-ga-eyed musicians have come to
interview him, most with little cultural literacy and each seeking to
unearth some little known facts, he has been ruined by this time.  I don't
know how much of a Yiddish reading fluency the present set of Yiddish music
scholars really have, since even the best of them claim to understand
Yiddish, but very, very few can speak it.  It may just take too long to
comb through the many Yiddish texts that are available, and some may choose
to go the fast route and use the person who will provide an immediate
response in English.  Good scholars know that you can never depend on one
source of info for anything, including eye-witness accounts to important
events, including personal events.  If Mr. Hescheles's statements can not
be corroborated, then you don't use them.  If you want to use them because
you think they are important, then you must state that he is the only
source of the information and that information has not/can not be
corroborated at this time.   Period.   That means that you do not count
them in when you make your final, general conclusions.

Personally, I would put my money on the highly respected Mr. Isachar Fater
in Israel and whatever he writes.  So glad someone mentioned him here.

Reyzl