From:   Joshua Horowitz [SMTP:horowitz (at) styria(dot)com]
Sent:   Saturday, March 25, 2000 8:14 PM
To:     World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:        Re: In defense of the recorder

-- Budowitz Home Page: http://www.merlinms.dircon.co.uk/budowitz/

Indeed there were Jewish guilds all over eastern Europe and what today is
Germany. Documents exist as early as the 16th century. Mr Hescheles said
that the guild (called "tekh") which served his town (Gliniany) was quite
strict, though I haven't heard or read that these restrictions involved the
instrumentation of kapelyes. Beregovsky writes that there were czarist
restrictions in the Ukraine for a time which had such restrictions, but
that
is definitely not the guild, but rather the government.

here is an excerpt from the lined notes of our new CD regarding one
conversation I had with Mr. Hescheles:

This piece was attributed to a shalosh sudes tune, the third and last meal
of shabbes, eaten Saturday evening. It was probably played by the leader of
the Gliner Kapelye of Gliniany, Pesakhye Wolf, who was the uncle of the
famous klezmer violinist (formerly trumpet player) Beresh Katz. Beresh
recorded the piece in 1927 with the Boibriker Kapelle, led by the
violinist,
Hersh Gross, in New York.  ?Back in Gliniany, Beresh wouldn?t have dared to
play it, because in the tekh [guild], Pesakhye would have had a khasuke [a
hold, or rights] on that tune. That means it would have been considered
Pesakhye?s tune. But when Beresh came to America, he and his kapelye
[ensemble] remembered it and played it, because they were no longer under
the jurisdiction of the tekh there...?

The text to Budowitz Mother tongue also deals with guilds and we have had
previous discussions about this on the list. It points to a fact that the
whole economic and social structure of klezmer music was probably much more
sophisticated than we portray it today...Josh

Guilds held control over the composition of kapelyes.

What?  Who?  Where?  Maybe music directors in the Warsaw theater made
formal exclusions, and this still needs to be checked if its true, but no
such guilds existed in towns and villages.  You can not find take one
little fact and rip it out of its context to make general, sweeping
statements this way.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky