"a woman's voice"

I have seen this same subject discussed a number of times,  and it seems
to me to be adverse to the purpose of this mail-list. The modern  Jewish
populace has always had a diverse base of religious and secular behaviors
and interests;  due to the diaspora and varying interpretations of
religious belief and doctrine. I believe in personal choice and opinion,
but I see these repeated  tangents into the oblivious differences of the
Jewish peoples,  as being counter  to the productive discussion of the
various forms of Jewish Music and the people who compose and perform it.

Jacob

Jacob Freedman -- Host/Producer -- 6:00 to 10:00 a.m. E.S.T
Sunday Morning Klezmer & Other Jewish Music:
A Radio & Internet Exploration of  Jewish Music, Art, & Culture
E-Mail &  Url Addresses -- sundaymorningklezmer (at) usa(dot)net
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/WBZCFMsndymrnngklzmr

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 07:51:38 -0500 "Judith R. Cohen" <judithc (at) YorkU(dot)CA>
writes:

Two comments from today's digest:

> I know that it seems like having a concert for women only would be
buckling to the >establishment; but in doing so it's like punishing who
is called  "repressed" .....

JC>I never said I wouldn't do women's concerts. Of course I do women's
JC>concerts and not only for Jewish women, and not only of Jewish music
and
JC>not only for adult women. I said I wouldn't do a women only concert in
JC>context which indicated my tacit approval of Kol Ishah, i.e. INSTEAD
of
JC>a concert for whoever wanted to attend. For example,when a SCHEDULED
and
JC>APPROVED concert for a Sephardic synagogue was cancelled at the last
JC>moment last year because ONE MAN on the Board who'd been away at the
JC>meeting where it was approved came back and vetoed it , and they said
,
JC>"oh, why don't you do a nice concert for the women instead, dear?", I
JC>said NO.

>Your opinion is only valid if those with whom you are dealing agree that
they can
> throw out or disregard 2000 years of sanctity of the Oral Law.

JC>You mean there are no differences among throwing it out, accepting it
JC>totally and blindly, and DISCUSSING it like reasonable human beings?
JC>After all, rabbis , including Orthodox rabbis, disagree with each
other
JC>- they can't ALL be right. They're just people, not divinities, no
JC>matter how wise or learned they may be.

JC>Otherwise, I simply second Lorele's eloquent post.Judith

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.