Re: Kol Ishah again

In a message dated 3/8/00 7:26:28 AM Eastern Standard Time, media (at)
kamea(dot)com
writes:

<< Hi Bob:

 "Ironic" indeed;  and "absurd".

 Interesting to note that even in Iran, a woman is
 allowed to sing on stage (again), --after a long prohibition
 under the ayatollahs.

 It is high time the medieval injunction against =kol isha=
 be discredited and abandoned.

It is high time that arrogant proclamations by those who have no investment
in Halachik Judaism come to an end, and allow the Halacha process to evolve
as best as possible. I personally follow a more lenient approach to Kol Isha,
 as Wolf and the members of this list know, and I am sympathetic to those
whose performance opportunities are limited by adherence to more stringent
interpretations.
But I have no sympathy for those who knowingly ask for this rebuff, allowing
them to once again decry the medieval nature of Halacha, as if a social
injustice has been commited, rather then an expression of a specific concept
of the modesty of women, which, whether one takes a more stringent view of
Halacha or less, is in fact a fundamental `part of Torah practice. And I
cannot countenance a back of the hand dismissal of Halcha and Torah, as if
the subjective views of any individual on this list should automatically be
allowed to invalidate a tradition which has taken shape over many centuries,
and is based on a system of Jewish Jurisprudence which according to Halachik
Jews dates back to the Torah. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I
find such dismissals of Halacha, even in cases where in practice I agree,
hurtful and offensive.
Anyone may choose not to observe Torah the way I deem appropriate. If you are
made uncomfortable by Kol Isha, don't observe it; that is between you and
God. But do not give yourself the right to declare it discredited for all.
That is a power you are unqualified to wield.

Jordan Hirsch