Re: Re Protocols of the Elders of Zion

Although this discussion is perhaps only peripherally related to the
foregoing thread on German Klezmer music I wanted t make a few comments.
Here in Austria the denazification (give me a break) laws prohibited the
dissemination of Nazi or Nazi-related literature (as Eliott pointed
out), as well as the use of common in-phrases which were propogated by
the Nazis. This has led to some interesting developments in the methods
used to spread Nazi ideas, the first being a fairly subtle and
widespread use of new euphemisms and a laming fear of discussion of
certain necessary topics. It has also meant that the price of Mein Kampf
is astronomical due to its forced rarity. While practically every
antique and used book store carries copies under the table, they ask a
pretty price for it, especially the leather bound coveted "Volksausgabe"
(peoples edition). Why? Well, because its a so-called risk to sell it.
Period. See prohibition, chapter one.

In a society in which racism is as common as a buttered potato maybe
this is a necessary measure, but the game of "spot that euphism" is not
so easy. The local paper (called the Kronen Zeitung here) features a
daily far right opinion column called "Adabei" (dialect term meaning
"I'm right there with you"). Whenever the writer uses the phrase "Those
of Mosaic faith" or "you know who I mean" or "certain lobbies" everyone
knows whom he's referring to, but I'll say it anyway, so as not to use
the same methods.: Yankele, the hook-nosed with his bag of buried
heirlooms. The euphemisms make it possible to express often illegal
ideas with impunity.

I'm, not implying that its wrong to implement laws against this, just
reminding about some of the consequences. In America, these ideas are,
in my opinion not quite as volatile as they may be here. It definitely
makes the culprit harder to identify. People's attitudes are expressed
in their speech. Take away their expressions and they'll find new ones
and that means if you want to know what they're talking about, you'll
have to learn the jive talk as well. Same with their books. The basic
question is, do you want these things available and visible on the
table,
or do you want them to move to a new station underground, out of sight,
but still active. To be honest, I vote for the former. I find it eerie
to listen to hints and innuendos about so-called Jewish character
traits, which, when used in a clandestine way sound foreboding, but when
heard in full Dolby Surround sound idiotic. Ditto with much of the
political correctness terms which veil attitudes as often as they are
supposed to
conjure respect.

I dunno. Language is such a basic thing. To manipulate it consciously
just reminds me of big brothers speech police, and as far as books being
offered - let them be offered. Why doesn't someone write a
counter-review on the protocols? It's such a silly-sounding book when
you sit down with it really.  Josh Horowitz