RE: Re Protocols of the Elders of Zion

Dear Adrian:

Your remarks are, to me, apropos to the discussion we were having on
Germans and Jewish music last week.

As several people as well as I pointed out, we were impressed by the lack
of bias and sensitivity that were displayed by many in the new generation
of Germans. This is because, as you pointed out, they were well educated,
against hatred--particularly of Jews. It's a well-known fact that
anti-semitic literature has been illegal in Germany since the end of WW II.
If any groups want to acquire this literature--sadly--they must write away
or find websites in the U.S. and Canada.

Could it be that the difference between this new generation of West Germans
and several of their East German countrymen is that the former confronted
their demons and tried to teach their children otherwise? It didn't seem to
hurt the children of West Germany NOT to be exposed to hate literature.  I
am under the impression that much of the neo-Nazi activity in reunified
Germany is carried out by disaffected, unemployed East Germans.

Ist das richtig? Vielleicht unsere Deutsche Musikanten kann ueber dieser
Gegenstand reden.

  Of course, exposure to all sorts of hate literature and violence has
helped American society immeasurably. Now we have six-year old children
shooting their classmates.

At 07:04 AM 3/7/00 -0600, you wrote:
>For the record:
>
>While I understand the sensitivity on this issue, let's look at it from
>another point. This semester I happen to be taking a course in Judaism
>taught by a Jewish instructor. It so happens that the "Protocols" are
>required reading for the course. So is "Mein Kampf" and a plethora of other
>anti-Semitic (and also self-loathing Jewish) writings. Considering that
>these writings are probably used in not a few Judaica courses around the
>country, it is not altogether surprising to find them listed under Judaica.
>
>What have we to fear from the open discourse of online reviews of these
>materials? That the ideas will spread? They are going to spread, whether we
>like them or not. The answer is not censorship, the answer in education. And
>the latest statistics bear this out. The ADL says anti-Semitism in the US is
>down substantially. One reason is that we do allow access to materials like
>the "Protocols" so people can see the lengths to which people will go to
>defame the Jewish people. When the material is not available, it becomes a
>"secret" that anti-Semites can exploit. Better it is out in the open where
>all can see it for the ugly thing it is.
>
>Don't ask Amazon or BN to change things. Do as others have done and respond
>to these online reviews-but with facts and figures, the latest known
>historical facts about the protocols which show them for the forgery they
>are and is now more certain than ever about the original source. Call your
>school boards and make sure your community's children are being properly
>educated about these issues. That's the proper response-rather than a
>knee-jerk.
>
>Adrian

>Adrian A. Durlester  -  durleste (at) home(dot)com
>http://members.home.net/durleste/
>Student, Vanderbilt University Divinity School
>http://divinity.lib.vanderbilt.edu/vds/vds-home.htm
>Music Director, Congregation Micah, Nashville, TN http://www.micahnash.org/
>Home phone (615) 646-9788 Nextel cel-phone (615) 207-2661
>You can page me from http://www.nextel.com
>List-Owner for hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org; Co-Owner for L-Torah (at)
>shamash(dot)org
>http://uahc.org/hanashir
>Editor, Bim Bam (for Torah Aura Productions) http://www.torahaura.com/
>Alternate Email: aad (at) iname(dot)com  adriand (at) aol(dot)com

Eliott Kahn, D.M.A.
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, N.Y. 10027
         (212) 678-8091
FAX: (212) 678-8998