Re: art and pop/folk singing

I'm sure the song you mean begins "Some Say Love"--I can't remember the
actual title, but can easily look it up--and was recorded with, I believe,
Placido Domingo.  And though I think it's a truly beautiful song and melody,
I believe his (PD's) singing on it has often been mocked, I guess because to
many ears it sounds ... well, overwrought--inappropriate for *this* song.

And I think that's something of a key--good singing, trained or untrained,
sounds "natural"; if it sounds overwrought, it's probably not good.
(There's a Duke Ellington link here somewhere.)  I don't personally care for
grand opera either, but I used to disdain all trained voices as sounding
phony, artificial, "overwrought," I guess (hell, Barbra *always* sounds
overwrought, doesn't she?) until a lovely person and a lovely singer (in
fact, as it happens, a former student of Isabelle's--but please let me keep
her name to myself, OK?) taught me that that was my own inappropriate
generalization formed from listening to *bad* "trained voice" singing.  I
listened to Richard Tucker, I believe, singing "Shalom" from MILK AND
HONEY--I'm not sure if my friend had me listen to it, or I just stumbled on
it--and heard how a (no doubt marvelously?) trained voice could sing a pop
song from a musical with heart and sincerity and warmth and flair on every
syllable.

Just my (untrained) (but now better informed) sense -- Robert Cohen