Re: sherele

I didn't know that there was a diversion point between the terms Sher
and Sherele, but in looking at the early (1916-1942) documentation of
the MUSIC (not the dance), all of the titles appearing use the term
"Sher". It's interesting to note the connection to the quadrille in the
titles of the Hochman and Leibowitz recordings below (1918, 1920).  I've
compiled a quick selection below, arranged chronologically, including
notated and discographic (quoted from Spottswood) sources. Josh

SHER MUSIC SOURCE CHRONOLOGY (Selected)
Kostakovsky, New York, 1916 ( a few shers appear in print here)

Alexander Eliasberg: Ostjüdische Volkslieder (1918, Munich, nr. 22 p.
213) Spieltze mir dem naien Scher. This is a Yiddish love song set to
the melody of the first strians of the "Russian Shers" (below)

I.J. Hochman And Orch.
3430-3 Rusish Sher Und Kadril Em 1306 (9'')
NY 1918-9

Max Leibowitz's Jewish Orchestra
41198-2 Russian Sher Quadril Em 13106
own vln, unk c, fl, cl, tb, p, bbs, dm NY ca May 1920

Abe Schwartz Orchestra
86691-2 Sher (Morris Fried, Philadelphia, Pa.)-Pt. 1 Co E4905
86692-1 Sher (Morris Fried, Philadelphia, Pa.)-Pt. 2 Co E4905, FL
9034(33)
c, vln, cl, tb, p, bbs, dm NY October 1920

Abe Schwartz's Orchestra
022-1 Russian Sher Tanz Strong 5006
NY ca January 1923

Beregovski notated 34 shers in the West Ukraine in the 1930s

Al Glaser's Bucovina Kapelle
65855-A Russian Sher De 18023
own vln, Dave Tarras-cl, others unk NY June 21, 1939

Tarras Instrumental Trio
BS 068578-1 Kiever Sher (Dave Tarras) Vi V-9105, 25-5067
own cl, Jack Fiedel-acn, J. Gratz-dm NY December 17, 1941

Bagelman Sisters With Seymour Rechtzeit
BS 051458-1 Dem Nayer Sher {The New Sher} {The New Scissors} Vi V-9074,
25-5038

Dave Tarras-cl, unk vln, p, Sos, traps, d Abe Ellstein NY June 20, 1940