sherele

The sher and the sherele are the same dance? My understanding was that the
sherele, though stemming from the sher, had entered the American folk dance
repertoire decades ago in a very specific form. I don't know its history in
Eastern Europe. The older sher,the one described by Joshua, on the other
hand, as taught at Klezkamp, in any case, is based on field research of the
1980s of Michael Alpert, Lee Ellen Friedland, and  others. There are/were
many regional variants which have yet to be documented. Dance experts? -
Itzik

Dr. Itzik Nakhmen Gottesman
Assistant Professor, Yiddish Language and Culture
Department of Germanic Studies
University of Texas at Austin
EPS 3.102
Austin, TX 78704-1190