Re: recording

I have to agree with everything Maxwellst. says I would add one thing: If you
want to record well you have to have experience at it. The problem is a band
usually gets experience at a high $ price. My advice you can rent an Adat get
a mix to four tracks, have a rehearsal and practice. Don't spend a lot of
time on sound quality, but listen to "How" you play your tunes. Listen to
what everyone is playing. If you don't like what someone is doing, Have a
plan as to how to fix it. Don't spend lots of time "soloing" members in the
sound booth for the rest of the band. At 2 am. if someone isn't doing
something great the last thing they need is pressure. Here are what I feel
are a couple of "Nevers"
1. Never let the rhythm section into the studio to lay tracks without the
lead instrument or singer playing on a scratch track.
2. Never record 8-16 bar sections and try to put them together as whole song.
3. Never walk into a studio unprepared. That means you've played everyday for
at least the last week. "I think I need to change the strings, reed, or
mouthpiece" doesn't inspire confidence from other band members.
4. Never record without a plan, one that every person agrees with
5. Never believe the "we can fix it in the mix" lie. It is never cheaper to
fix stuff digitally than to get it right on tape the first time.
6. Never pick a studio by looking at their equipment list. Listen to other
project to come out of that studio. An engineer with an "ear," is worth 3
without and better mikes and electric toys.
7. Never think it's going to take less than 1 hr. to get the drums to sound
right.
8. Never think twice about spending extra time to get them to sound right. If
the engineer says we have a better sounding bass drum "USE IT"

That concludes my list for now. I'm sure in the middle of the night I will
think of some others, all based on previous screw ups!

Tom Puwalski (the artist formerly known as Sarge)