Re: Meaning of "Klezmer"

Most introductions to klezmer music will note the derivation. My own
paragraph is at

http://www.klezmershack.com/articles/aboutklez.html

and there are other intros to the music at
http://www.klezmershack.com/contacts/klezwords.html

I believe that the first use of the term to refer to the music (as opposed to
the musicians, which came earlier, and had a derogatory cast to it), was in
Beregovski, where he referred to "klezmer music" or "Jewish klezmer music".
That would be in the '30s? (the phrase, "Jewish klezmer music" was also
the original title of the Statman-Feldman album, now out of print, that
got many people excited about the music in the late Seventies).

ari