Re: gelt as opposed to guilt

Although we've never had a situation as extreme as the one Lori described,
it can get confusing sometimes about who is calling the shots.  Many times
we've been hired by the bride and groom, their names are on the contract,
they pay the deposit, but it's a parent who writes the check at the end of
the wedding.  When the bride says one thing and her father says something
else, we try to get them to come to some agreement.  If the bride's name is
on the contract, though, she's responsible even if her father is paying.
If he refused to pay, I would talk to the bride about it.  A father who
refuses to pay because you listened to his daughter, the bride, may have
been looking for an excuse to refuse to pay you.  It would be instructive
to find out if he went on to boast to his friends about how he got your
excellent music for nothing.

My wife, who is a calligrapher, tells of a customer who complained that the
ketuba wasn't perfect and refused to pay the balance, then displayed it and
boasted to friends about getting it without paying for it.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340