gelt as opposed to guilt

Being a professional musician who plays Yiddish music, I received this from
a friend of mine, who was excited to go an hear Klezmorim in her area. What
do you all think about this??? I'd like to think that as musicians who want
to expose the world to the beauties of Yiddish music and Yiddishkeyt this is
just non-menschischkeyt behavior?  Tell me what you think?

A band was playing at a function for a group of people to which a
    wonderful professional vocalist belonged who asked to sing a tune with
the band
    and was told that only those who write the check for the band's
services, or who
    had in the past, could sit in, which indeed was happening that evening
with a
    musician of little talent.  Members of the group that the band was
playing for
    had asked the vocalist if they were going to hear the vocalist sing with
the
    band, and were looking forward to it.  The bandleader was extremely rude
in
    response to the request and indicated that it was merely a matter of
money.