Re: Wolf's Yiddish

Matt Jaffey wrote:

> First, I'll admit that I'm one of those people whose parents spoke Yiddish
> to keep me from knowing what was going on. So in a way, I'm speaking as an
> outsider on this - which may give me some perspective.
>
> I'm struck by the diversity of musical forms that are included under the
> umbrella "Yiddish Music". Wolf's music is an example, including styles like
> reggae etc. that are not traditionally associated with Yiddish culture.
>
> Last summer at the Klezkanada concert, we were treated to traditional
> American klez, modern broadway tunes, Russian revolutionary songs, a
> concerto for mandolin and orchestra, 19th c. klez reconstructed, and
> Hassidic nigunim. The latter, by the way, got booed off stage, much to my
> shock, presumably by people who had come to hear the traditional American
> klez style.
>
> Personally, I'm only attracted to some of these styles. Why were they lumped
> together? Because they all have something to do with Yiddish culture, even
> though obviously, everyone there didn't like everything. (Oh, and I'm
> forgetting that there were also some charming Judeo-Spanish songs from
> Judith, but then, those weren't Yiddish at all.)
>
> I think the category is a bit odd. Who would ever speak of a category like
> "Songs in English and instrumental music written by people who speak
> English"? Maybe it's because there are so few people who are actually
> involved in Yiddish culture, and because we have such a short period of
> history in which the musical part of the culture was recorded, that this
> happens.
>
> And of course, the existence of this list is a reflection of this way of
> grouping things. Which works out pretty well, since there's no actual music
> happening on it, so people can disagree while continuing to listen to what
> they like elsewhere.
>
> Matt

Shalom!

By the way, our Russian Jewish singer Joseph Kobzon has been singing
Yiddish songs everywhere, even in Adygea, Estonia, Latvia,
Turkmenistan... And many Turkmens, Adygs, Latvians, Estonians, Russians
etc. were listening him don't speaking Yiddish. But Kobzon has been
singing Yiddish songs. More - he has been singing Russian and Ukrainian
songs too. But not many Adygs or Estonians know Ukrainian.

Sophia,
Russia