RE: Vocables in Jewish Music

Ah--but a mamesh real d'vekus niggun (i.e., one of yearning) should have
some underlying joy to it, and a lebedik (upbeat/joyous) niggun, if it's for
real, will have a little sadness underneath it--not depressed sadness, but
the sadness of incompleteness, of never quite getting there, of being in
love.  To be real, a niggun--like a Jew--should have all the emotions in
it--Robert Cohen (paraphrasing and telling over the teachings of Shlomo
Carlebach, z"l)