Re:RE: lie-lie-(My reply, kind of long, so you might want to delete)

In a message dated 11/4/99 4:43:43 AM, lsimon (at) SoftHome(dot)net writes:

<< Amusing, but mean, Simon.  Part of the function of this list is to educate,
right?

Dear Lori,

My little message was meant to be mean, but I do believe, part of the
function of this list is to INFORM, it is up to the individual to use this
information to educate themselves.
I was trying to "shine a light" on a subject that many  "Yiddishists" are not
aware of. There are many list members who may not be fluent in Yiddish let
alone in the phonetic spelling of Yiddish, including yours truly. However. it
would be a pity if these members felt that because they are not "proper" in
the use of Yiddish that they shouldn't use it. Anything that furthers an
interest in the language is a step in the right direction.

A few years ago, a young lady (not Jewish) came in because she heard a
Yiddish song played on a radio program that we were involved with. She didn't
know the name of the tune but eventually we figured it out. She was reading
the names on the CD out loud, and naturally, mispronouncing every title.
Unfortunately, there was an individual, who is very well known in the Yiddish
community as a lecturer, writer, speaker, etc. This "individual" said to the
young lady, "You know, you are not pronouncing that correctly." The young
lady informed 'The :Maven" that she didn't speak Yiddish.
The "Maven" then informed her, in a very condescending manner, that unless
she learn Yiddish properly, she would never appreciate the music. The very
sheepishly, put the CD down, thanked me and said she would be back. She never
did.

The fact that you INFORMED us that YIVO has standardized the transliteration
of Yiddish, is very important to those people who want to get a formal
Yiddish education, but many of us speak 'a bit of Yiddish' because our
parents spoke it at home. However, Yiddish has been transliterated long
before YIVO  came up with (their) standard.

If you look at the names of some of the people on the list, we have a few
named "Chaim" or "Haim",  a few named  "Boruch". should they sign as "Khaim",
and "Borukh"???

Lori, you do a great service to our community with the work you are doing,
and it would be wonderful if every one could avail themselves of the
resources out there. So do keep up the good work. As for me, I just plod
along in my "tzibrokhene Yiddish"(I'll bet I misspelled that! :-)  )

Simon.