RE: Vocables in Jewish Music

    The question about what is a right types of vocable to use in a nign is
one of tradition. When you listen to Lorin Slamberg singing the Nign with
Itzhak Perlman on the Live in the Fiddler's House he is using by-by-by-bum,
with the b sometimes turning into more of a v sound. Yet on the Nigunim CD,
in the Gerer Medley (track 4 ) he uses a vocables that sounds like di and
die. I think that the vocable isn't what counts it is the engery that the
people should feel when singing the nign. Are they heading towards Devkus?
    For the yiddish tradition I think the Epstein Brothers would say that
Yubba - Bubba Boi (Epstein Brothers E.B. Vol III track 16) is the vocable to
use.  I sometimes go to Chabbad Houses to learn nign's first hand. They sing
some wonderful Tish-nigns. I over heard comment; "when a yid is sad he sings
Oy-Oy-Oy, when he is happy he sings La-La-La."
    My question for the original poster of this thread is the nign in
question a Devkus nign (no regular rhythm) or a lebedik nign (on that you can
pound your fist on the table to)?

Matt Temkin