Re: Polka & Klez

We shouldn't overlook the various cross-over influences, such as the straight
polka
sides recorded by Abe Ellstein with Dave Tarras, or the polka-country&western
fusion practiced by Jimmy Sturr and others, or the unlikely Polish-Cajun
blending
that produced a runaway hit here in New England ten years or so ago: "Maurice,
Don't Do That (Maurice, fais pas ça)," originally by a Louisiana band , but
covered
word-for-word by ( I think) Happy Louie's band from New London.  Not to mention
the
Tex-Mex-Chicago fusion by Brave Combo, who received words of encouragement from
Eddie Blazonczyk.  Just today I listened to a cut by the Cincinnati Klezmer
Project
( I hope I got the name right), and I was struck by how much their smoothly
arranged sound reminded me of an old Chicago band called the Ampol-aires.

Owen

Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass
The Wholesale Klezmer Band

Seest thou the little winged fly, smaller than a grain of sand?
It has a heart like thee, a brain open to heaven & hell.
Withinside wondrous & expansive, its gates are not clos'd.
I hope thine are not.

Wm. Blake