Re: Polka & Klez

Responding to the message of <s820215d(dot)062 (at) hcpnw1>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Hi-- My band the Klezbeets & I are giving a joint presentation/concert with a
> local Polka band this weekend.  Supposed to be a trust-building event between
> the Buffalo Jewish & Polish communities, whose relations have been frayed as
> of
> late.  Does anyone have any information on the relationship between Polka
> music
> (which I know very little about) and klezmer?  Or on the history/evolution of
> Polka music so I can point to similarities & differences?
>
> Any help, sources (books, articles, webpages) would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete Rushefsky
> 5-string banjo, tsimbl
> The Klezbeets (Buffalo, NY)
> 12 Corners Klezmer Band (Rochester, NY)
> rushefsky_p (at) univerahealthcare(dot)org
> www.12cornersklezmer.com
> 716-857-4481 w
> 716-883-5938 h

Can't help you except to say that I taught in Poland last winter and everyone I
spoke to insisted that the polka was Czech, not Polish.  These days, lots of
people play polkas.  It's danced in Mexico and it's popular among American
Indians in the Southwest.  They call it 'chicken scratch' (no idea why).  The
best known artists are the Joaquin Brothers.

I'm very interested in Polish-Jewish relations, having spent so much time in
Poland (teaching a course on Jewish-American musicians, conducting a Seder and
Shabbat service for my Catholic students and colleagues, hosting a film series
on Hollywood musicals by Jewish writers) and possibly returning in the near
future  For me, it was emotionally overwhelming and mostly very healing, owing
to wonderful relationships I formed and maintain with students and colleagues.
I know other people have had very different experiences.  I'd love to hear from
others who've been there or worked with the Polish-American community (where
unsuccessfully  sought assistance before my trip).

Let us know what happens, Pete.  Good luck.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455