Re: Polka & Klez

In a message dated 11/03/1999 10:50:17 AM Central Standard Time,
RUSHEFSKY_P (at) univerahealthcare(dot)org writes:

<< Does anyone have any information on the relationship between Polka music
 (which I know very little about) and klezmer?  >>

I would contact the American Jewish Committee and see if their contacts in
the Polish community would help.  The AJC does outreach and bridge-building,
including with the Polish community.  The Polish American Congress has been
helpful in the past, although I don't know if they're running cold at this
juncture.
Having said that, I have done a few outreach concerts.  DO include polkas,
mazurkas and krakoviaks.  Do NOT include Russian music--Jewish music is OK,
but Russia is the oppresser and Ochi Chorniye or Moscow Nights would be
distinctly unwelcome additions to this program.
Chicago Lori