Re: Paul Simon's music--and Cab Calloway's

As I heard (or read), Louis Armstrong was singing from a written lyric and
dropped the page, and sang nonsense syllables until he could retrieve the
sheet.  Cab Calloway came up with a fluid, tongue-twisting scat style that was
later developed as a comedy routine by Danny Kaye.  I've never heard any
anecdote about Danny Kaye being influenced by Calloway, but a listen to Kaye's
rendition of "Minnie the Moocher" ought to make it clear enough.

Owen