Re: lying vs. dying

Hey, is this offered as serious _p'shat_ (Jewish law)?  We are, indeed, told
to keep at a distance from falsehood, but lying is *definitely* sometimes
permissible or even required Jewishly--esp. and in particular, to save a
life! (but also, in some cases, to soothe hurt feelings or bring about
reconciliation between people).  As it happens, in this past Shabbat's
parsha (Torah portion), we are modeled a delicious example of, at least,
shading the truth for the sake of marital harmony (shalom bayis) by the
Kadosh Baruch Hoo himself.  See God's dialogue w/ Sarah and then w/ Abraham
and compare--Robert (Rashi) Cohen