Re: Kol Isha/Trudi's Yiddish/

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky wrote:

> Wolf,
>
> >Depends on if Trudi meant " smallER world"   or just "world".
>
> If Trudi would have wanted to say a " smallER world", your correction would
> not have been right.  That sentence would have needed to have been:
>
> <dayn velt iz a klenere velt.>

Whoops:  I wrote <kleynere> instead of <klenere>.  Same word, incorrect
transliteration.

> And the word order was definitely incorrect.   Her word order was English
> and not Yiddish.  No native Yiddish speaker would have said that sentence
> that way.

That's a little overbearing .  NO native Yiddish speaker?  Please.

> Wolf, you have to know Yiddish well in order to offer corrections.

Reyzl,  I may not be a stone expert like Herzog or Shaechter,  but to  say
that I don't know it well is really condescending.

>   Yiddish is my first languge.  I  may not have learnt it in yeshiva,

> and am not a grammarian, but it is the people's Yiddish. Like Elvis'
> English, if I may be permitted to draw a parallel. Maybe Lawrence Olivier
> would have winced, but that wouldn't have  made Elvis' speech "incorrect",
> just a different regional speech.

You know very well that the scholars  have designated 4 distinct regional
Yiddish dialects/styles not counting the overlaps.  If you choose to claim the
<hoykhe fenster> Yiddishof the textbooks is the only real deal, , that is your
right, but it doesn't make me wrong, either.
Weinreich, because of his personal hang-ups, omitted much of the people's
Yiddish in a silly attempt to shoehorn the language or as  he apparently
thought, to elevate it.

As I said before, -- picky, picky.

Say hi to Josh for me.

Wolf