RE: cantorial music by/for women

She was known as Sheyndale di khaznte and was extremely well liked.  She
had a most powerful, effective voice all right.  It's nice to learn her
real name, but with a last name such as Gornisht, which means 'nothing',
'null', I guess 'Sheyndale di khaznte' was a no-brainer stage name.  What a
name!!! almost beats my favorite Jewish last name, Moyshe Shmuts [=dirt].
 Zero Mostel gave himself the name Zero because his father always told him
"Bist a gornisht" [=You are a nothing].  The story here is probably
similar.

The fun things one learns on this list...

Talking about cantorial music,
Just heard Emil Zrihan at the Ashkenaz Festival and I was most impressed by
him.  What a wonderful voice he has.  Among my first thoughts listening to
him was, if he wanted to do opera, he would go even farther than Andrea
Bocelli (the blind Italian tenor), for sure.  He was most, most wonderful
and his band was absolutely terrific, I thought.   Arabic music with a
strong Western fiddle sound - absolutely delicious.  A maykhl far di oyern
[=a treat for the ears.]   I could have listened for hours.   Zrihan was a
real discovery for me and definitely one of the highlights at the festival.

Reyzl