Re: cantorial music by/for women

Hi, George.

Did you review this on the original Israeli label, or has the US Sounds
True CD been released?

Kal tuv,

Joel

At 12:10 PM 9/3/99 -0400, George Robinson wrote:
>Khaverim --
>
>I just reviewed an absolutely amazing album that sort of falls into this
>category.  None of the material is written by women, but the singer, Ruth
>Wieder Magan,  is terrific. The review is as follows:
>
>Ruth Wieder Magan: "Songs to the Invisible God" (Sounds True). This is
>quite simply one of the most remarkable albums of Jewish music I have ever
>heard. Wieder Magan has a haunting voice somewhere between mezzo and
>contralto; on this recording she sings a cappella versions of folk and
>cantorial settings of various sacred texts in a medieval monastery in Ein
>Kerem. The result is haunting, moving, sometimes scary. If you have been
>looking for a Jewish recording that would be the equivalent of the various
>"Chant" sets that have been all the rage for the past couple of years,
>this is it. The closest to a mystical experience I have had listening to
>music since the first time I heard Coltrane's "A Love Supreme," the Fauré
>Requiem or the choral movement of Beethoven's Ninth. Astonishing. Rating:
>5 stars.
>

>I know that sounds, well, hyperbolic, but this is a brilliant recording.
>And this is a completely unsolicited testimonial.
>
>Shabbat Shalom,
>George Robinson

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com