Re: israeli military songs

In a message dated 7/19/99 10:29:35 AM, ibarmash (at)
phoenix(dot)Princeton(dot)EDU writes:

<<
I am looking for CDs of Israeli/Jewish military songs. Can you recommend
some recordings?

Dear Inna,

There are many recordings(Cd) by the various military groups, however the
songs are not necessarily Army songs. Each of the military troops have their
own entertainment unit. Practicaly every major Israeli recording artist
(until the Rock & roll era) in Israel earned their fame by performing for the
soldiers on the "lines" This guaranteed them an "audience" once they started
their civilian music careers -such stars as Shlomo Artzi, Yehoram Gaon, Ofra
Haza, all gained fame in the military.

In the 50's & 60's, many of the top hits were performed by the Military
groups, this does not mean that they were "Military songs"..On The other
hand, many of the songs that were popular during the "6day War" in 1967 that
had military references were NOT recorded by the Military Groups.

We carry 5 or 6 of the military group CDs as well as the songs of "The Six
Day War", which included the ORIGINAL "hit" version of "Jerusalem of Gold" by
Shuli Nathan, as well as such songs as "Sharm-Al-Sheck", by roneliran,
"Reunion With the Reserve" by the High Windows (Arik Einstein, Shmulik
Krouse& Josie Katz-who all became "stars" on their own)
Simon
Hatikvah