Re: chairs and weddings

----- Original Message -----
From: Helen Winkler <winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 1999 7:27 PM
Subject: chairs and weddings

> A few days ago the question about the origin of the custom of raising the
> bride and groom on chairs at weddings came up.  Today, I was watching a
> video of the Chasidic dance called "Keysad Herokdin Lefnay Hakale."
> Interestingly, the bride was seated on a chair during the dance and at a
> certain point in the dance a group of people pushed the chair across the
> floor as part of the dance.  Perhaps the chair raising is a variation on
> this theme.
> Sincerely,
> Helen

A few years ago, my wife and I were on a tour in Morocco.  When we came to
Fez, the manager of the hotel (which was next to the ruins of some buildings
that were said to be where Maimonides lived) announced that one couple in
our group would have a mock Moroccan wedding.  We were chosen, and we were
dressed elaborately for the affair.

The wedding had two features like Jewish weddings.  We signed an elaborately
decorated contract before the ceremony.  During the celebration after the
ceremony (there was a band with native instruments and a belly dancer), we
were each carried around on a small platform that resembled the top of a
steel drum.  Perhaps both customs date back many centuries in the mid-East
and North Africa.

P.S.: When we got home we told our children that we were married in Fez.
Our son said, "Its about time."  So much for respecting ones parents.