Re: What is the market for Jewish music Mag?

Gideon Aranoff writes:

> Robert raises an interesting question regarding a print Jewish music
> magazine.  Should it seek to be mass market or should it focus on the much
> more limitted market of musicians who play, and organizations/companies that
> promote, Jewish music?

Go for the mass market.

> To some extent this is a marketing question.  If we want to create a broader
> audience for Jewish music, we need to grab people with something they
> recognize or something that will catch their attention.  This argues for
> including celebrity profiles even if they may be secondary to core Jewish
> music.  Barbara Streisand, the Beastie Boys, Dylan, etc would help sell
> magazines in a store like Borders.  These features need not be total fluff,
> but could involve serious discussions with popular artists on their Jewish
> backgrounds and the impact of their Jewishness on their music.

To grab people's attention, the magazine should come with a CD containing music
to accompany the feature articles and some tracks from new releases.  I'm sure
that artists and record labels would be thrilled by the marketing opportunity
this
would create.

> [...]

-- Bill B.