What is the market for Jewish music Mag?

Robert raises an interesting question regarding a print Jewish music
magazine.  Should it seek to be mass market or should it focus on the much
more limitted market of musicians who play, and organizations/companies that
promote, Jewish music?

To some extent this is a marketing question.  If we want to create a broader
audience for Jewish music, we need to grab people with something they
recognize or something that will catch their attention.  This argues for
including celebrity profiles even if they may be secondary to core Jewish
music.  Barbara Streisand, the Beastie Boys, Dylan, etc would help sell
magazines in a store like Borders.  These features need not be total fluff,
but could involve serious discussions with popular artists on their Jewish
backgrounds and the impact of their Jewishness on their music.

However, every piece on Kenny G's Jewish heritage takes away space from the
coverage of new liturgical music, traditional Klezmer, etc.  Also, these
pieces open up the danger of diluting people's definition of Jewish music to
a point where the music becomes an ethnic name game.  So, a nice small niche
publication might, as Robert says, be a better starting point rather than
seeking to expand.

My question for the list is has anyone tried to estimate how small a niche we
really are discussing?  Is it large enough to support this type of print
publication?  I have some doubts if the examples of Davka or Pakn Treger
(both Jewish niche publications) are any indication.  Davka has become the
webzine Tattoo Jew and I am not sure what is happening with Pakn Treger since
it hasn't made it to Washington DC recently.

Gideon