Re: Debbie Friedman article

Looking for common ground with Adrian what jumps out is "the call to
ask contemporary writers to become familiar with the now accepted
"traditional" nusach and find ways to incorporate it into their own
work."  If only we were steeped in nusah as the connective tissue of
our Jewish liturgical experience.  If only those who want to write for
the synagogue knew the history of Jewish liturgical music their work
would be more effective as a means of Jewish prayer.

It is often stated that to successfully break rules, one must first
know them well.  One of many examples is Picasso.  It was rremarkable
to see early his sketches in the classical style.  (As I write a TV
special on Picasso was just advertised.)

I do wish I would find that when I go into a synagogue the shaliah
tzibur knows the appropriate nusah to be used, for example for b'rahot
at the end of passages.

Here I would not say "traditional" nusah, as Adrian does.  I think
that would be redundant.  And I think that the phrase "the so called
"new American nusach"" may reflect a different understanding of the
meaning of nusah from the one that we've discussed -- leitmotifs that
identify the service for which they are used; melodies that can be
identified as being Jewish without text or context.  I know of no
attempt to develop such a thing in America,   Being able to say
that a tune sounds like it's by Debbie Friedman does not make for a
nusah.

So I would not say that "there is clearly a place for nusach" without
meaning that the place for nusah is in every Jewish prayer service.

It seems that we have no Jewish tradition in architecture.  But
we do have Jewish traditions liturgical music.  It may not be the
music of Miriam or even the music of the Temples, but to lose what we
do have would be a true pity.  I hope that there are not many Jews who
would say that any Jewish tradition that cannot be plainly traced back
to Mt. Sinai is automatically dispensable.  Precious little of Judaism
would survive.

So while we encourage the singing of new songs (as the psalmist said),
let us continue to sing the old nusah.

Bob

(Sorry for the delay in mailing this letter.  It was largely completed
days ago but languished in my draft folder.)