Re: Hazanut - Jewish Liturgical Music List?

Certainly if there is a separate list for Jewish Liturgical Music
(JLM)--Is this assumed to refer only to "art," as opposed to folk, music
for prayer?--I will want, or need, to be on it.  But I wanted to share,
w/ the list as well as Stephen, a serious reservation--which is that I
regret, and disapprove of, the separating out of "liturgical" Jewish
music from Jewish music generally; I think it conveys an unhealthy, and
inauthentic, separation of "religion" from Jewish life generally--there
is no separate word for "religion" in the Torah--and I wish you wouldn't
do it.

Many of the subjects addressed in/by the list don't interest me
especially, either, but SO LONG AS PEOPLE CLEARLY IDENTIFY THE SUBJECT
OF THEIR POSTS I'm always free to ignore messages that I don't think
will interest me--and sometimes, I learn things that unexpectedly _are_
of interest when I check them out.  I feel about a separate JLM list
something like the way I feel about separate women's prayer
services--I'm certainly entirely supportive of their right to hold them,
but I wish they wouldn't be (or wouldn't seem to their founders to be)
necessary (though I understand why some Orthodox women feel they are),
as they undermine the unity of the Jewish people at prayer. Here such a
rending seems entirely _un_necessary, since liturgical music aficianados
(like me) are as free as anyone else to share our musings.  Besides
which, the division is unnatural, as folk and liturgical music are
intertwined--in our tradition and in its contemporary expressions.  Many
klezmer or "fusion klezmer" recordings include settings of liturgy, for
example; folk and popular melodies are, as we've discussed, borrowed for
liturgy; issues of "What is Jewish Music?" cross liturgical vs.
non-liturgical lines (exactly).  Don't do this!