pre 17th century Jewish dance

Bona Dies!

Ostensibly I joined this list because I was hunting for the lyrics of "Adio
Querido" (which I did finally find on the liner notes on Judy Frankel's
"Scalerica de Oro" CD. Thanks!).

But now that I'm here I thought I'd pose a query that's been nagging at me.
 Does anyone know if there has been any research on Jewish dance pre-17th
century?

I should explain why I ask.  I am an amateur vocalist/musician who helps to
provide live music for "Northern Oasis", a practice group for Middle
Eastern dancers affiliated with the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA
Ontario).  The attempt is being made by SCAers interested in "period Middle
Eastern" dance (i.e. 12-17th century) -- but it is hard going since only
now are ethnomusicalogists looking into dance  from the Islamic empire.

I have some knowledge of 16th century Spanish/Portuguese songs and so, not
surprisingly, when I joined up with NOasis I gravitated to Ladino songs
(much easier/nicer than singing in Arabic!). I'd like to help my friends
with research and thought to take another tack by looking at the following:

                a) representations of dance in "period" Jewish
manuscript/illumination (
a stretch I                     know)
                b) documentation of Ladino songs back to pre 17th century
(Ensemble
Sarband's
                        _Sepharad_ has provided me with good start)
                c) studies in "period" Jewish treatises that make references to
dance

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Caramente
Kristine Maitland
rosanera (at) idirect(dot)com
www.bestiary.com/diaspora/kristine.html