Re: Adon Olom--and borrowing melodies generally

Another example of a country-style Adon Olam--and then some general
remarks about borrowing melodies for this piyyut (hymn).

First:  Cantor Sherwood Goffin recorded a country-style "Adon Olam"
(complete with Nashville studio musicians) on his album _Mimkomo_.  It's
his original (uptempo, as one could imagine) melody.

Having written, essentially descriptively but on the whole
celebratorily, about borrowing melodies for Jewish prayer (in Moment
magazine), I certainly don't generally disdain the practice.  But
borrowing--and this I also teach in workshops I've conducted on (new)
music for prayer--should be done (except, indeed, at Purim) with
thoughtful care and with respect for the content of the prayer or hymn
in question.  "Adon Olam" is a sublime affirmation of faith,
historically sometimes recited at a deathbed (and, in the same spirit,
more routinely at bedtime).  That _doesn't_ mean every setting should be
appropriate to that context; but every setting, I think, should be
appropriate to a hymn that can be and _is_ sung in that context--even if
it's an upbeat, exuberant setting like "When the Saints Go Marching In"
(is that the one someone mentioned?), which I don't think I'd ever dream
of doing, but in New Orleans, picking up on the spiritual exultation of
the tune in that atmosphere--OK.  But I can't see how "She'll be Coming
Round the Mountain" invests "Adon Olam" with _any_ spiritual emotion or
overtone whatsoever--joyful or contemplative,  outwardly exuberant or
inwardly devotional--and that's what a good setting, original or
borrowed, should do.

>From owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org Wed Feb  3 11:50:56 1999
>Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:48:11 -0500
>To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>From: Joe Kurland <ganeydn (at) crocker(dot)com>
>Subject: Re: Adon Olom (was Jewish Cowboy Music)
>Sender: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
>
>Jacob,
>
>I'd love to hear it before passing judgement on it.  By the "rita rita
rita
>rita"  it could be one of those chassidic nigunim (wordless melodies)
that