RE: contacting Tzadik??

Yes, Eliezer, but whether or not there is an "audience" or "market" for
klezmer at Oberlin and the surrounding area may in part depend on whether or
not people there can ever hear the music. And they won't hear it if the
label doesn't distribute it to people who serve as advocates, if you will,
for the music.

Sending one free copy of each of a label's release to DJs who specifically
play your style of music (as opposed to a mass mailing to every radio
station, or even every college station) or to reviewers with a track record
of reviewing your specific genre is a very good and inexpensive investment.
I bet for every ONE person who turns around and as a result buys a CD at
retail cost the label more than covers its expense for sending out every
three or four CDs, maybe even more.

Just  as an example, I wrote about Brave Old World's "Blood Oranges" several
times in the last year in our regional newspaper, The Berkshire Eagle,
including most recently in my year-end Top 10 list (which includes rock,
pop, folk, jazz,everything but classical). Ever since, I get at least one
phone call or Email a week from people asking me where they can find the CD.
Obviously it was a good investment on the part of BOW or Pinorrek or whoever
originally paid for my copy of the CD.

Part of a record label's duty or responsibility to its artists is to
"market" the recordings, by getting them in front of as many potential
buyers as possible. There aren't many DJs and reviewers out there who focus
on the kind of stuff Tzadik and Knitting Factory put out. It doesn't seem
like brain surgery to figure out in whose hands those CDs should wind up
where they will be aired or reviewed as opposed to sold to the nearest used
CD store. (How many radio shows specialize in Jewish music, klezmer or
avant-klezmer, or even all three?) I don't see how a policy of refusing to
send out promos under any circumstances (which as I understand it is the
case with Tzadik) serves the interests of the recording artists.