Re: klezmer recommendation please

>I think one of the most overlooked recordings is the "Trio" CD by Kroke
>(Cracow). Without any publicity-other then my recommendation- it is the #1
>seller on the Oriente label.(However, "Di Naye Kapelye " looks to be the
>winner in the long run with all the deseved publicity it is getting.)
>
>Kroke has a very fresh sound and consist of an accordion, bass, and
>violin/viola.
>This was the first recording I heard on the Oriente label, and because of it,
>I contacted the label to become their exclusive distributor.
>
>'Their second Cd "Eden" is also quite good and gets a little more modern. They
>just came out with a "Live" CD, however, I do recommend their 1st recording.

I sort of agree. "Trio" is the CD distillation of their first recordings,
which were on cassette only. There was something original about them, and
I really enjoyed reviewing the first cassette when I got it. But I'm not
sure where the group is headed. I just didn't hear what was interesting
in the subsequent recording that I heard. Rather, it seemed as though
there were reaching quickly for something less interesting, but perhaps
more mainstream mushy for a European (German?) klezmer audience.

I wish I knew more about where the group thinks it is going and what
it is trying to do.

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/