Re: Klezmer 5-string Banjo

From: R. Lea Singer, The Rivka Network

To the best of my knowledge, Ari is referring to the Fabrangen Fiddlers,
founded in 1971 by David Shneyer, Sue Roemer and others. They produced
"American Chai" in 1975 and David and Theo Stone plus Bruce Brill produced
"The Country Klezmers" in 1978. I think bass player Theo plays sitar on one
cut.

The group was an outgrowth of the Fabrangen Havurah, founded by Max Ticktin
and Art Waskow and others. "Fabrangen" is a variant of the Yiddish
"farbrengen," to have a good time. The group (David, Sue, Theo, Alan Oresky,
Larry Robinson) now performs in concert only on special occasions. David has
other bands that play at simkhas. David's other recordings include "Smokey
Mountain Shabes" and "Love Songs and Blessings." David leads High Holy Day
services at Bethesda-Chevy Chase HS in Maryland that attract 1500 of the metro
DC area's havurot members and unaffiliated. Alan, chief  fiddler, who plays at
the services, has a solo album, "Dream of Peace."  (Any errors in this story
are mine)

Contact: David Shneyer, Am Kolel Judaic Resource Center, 15 W. Montgomery Ave.
#204, Rockville MD 20850. Tel: 301-309-2310.

<< There was a spinoff from that Washington, DC havura group whose
 names escapes me just as I need it, called "Country Klezmorim"
 that did a nice mix of bluegrass and Jewish music, some klezmerish,
 about 10, 15 years ago.  >>

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->