Re: Correction

Rachel:

You wrote:

>There is more to music than words, and I
 don't see how, for example, simply changing the words to "Light My Fire"
 would affect the generally hedonistic / risk-seeking effect of the music
 itself.

I can't agree with you on this one.  Once you remove the words to "Light My
Fire", and separate the melody from the fast tempo and strict rhythm of a
rock music performance, I find nothing hedonistic about it.  I can easily
imagine someone who had never heard the rock recording finding this melody
suitable for prayer.

I confess, I have used an unorthodox melody (pun intended) on at least one
occasion.  My favorite melody for Shir Hamalos on Friday night is a French
Canadian fiddle tune.  The name of the tune is Saint Anne's Reel, but I
don't see any reason why that should bother me.

One of my favorite stories by Peretz deals with this subject of the
spiritual nature of melodies: how they can be degraded by being used for a
mundane purpose, or elevated by being used for a spiritual purpose.

Elliott:

I sent a message to the New England Folk Festival Association that they
should link to your Israeli dance web site.  They try to connect to every
folk-related site from their link page, especially folk-dance related, and
they didn't have any Israeli dance sites in Louisiana.  I hope that meets
with your approval.  The NEFFA web site is www.neffa.org/~neffa.

And as for the krewe de jieux site, it's clear that is unrepresentative of
absolutely anything other than itself!

Jacob Bloom

Elliott wrote:

>If you want to see something unrepresentative of the Jewish community her=
e go to our web site:

http://www.why-not.com/krewe_du_jieux/

If you have any interest in Israeli-Jewish dancing you might try my other=
 site.

http://members.aol.com/katbkay/dance1.htm

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->