jewish music or not?

pardon me, but i dont think you can identify jewish music by chord
progressions. jewish  music is melodic in origin, attempts to harmonize
it always vary with the time period in which the polyphony is attempted.
but the harmony is always a problem, since the melodic materials are
monophonic. Yasser theorized that we should use the projected interval
of the 4th, not the thrd  to harmonize melodies, and thus avoid the
non-jewish
influence of western music.
when i look for "jewishness" in a melody, i look to the melody- mode,
projected intervals, repeated notes, cadences, etc. as in the Poetics,,
to understand the invisible, look closely at the visible. jonathan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->