Re: Popular Chassidic Music

In a message dated 12/23/98 2:16:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, owend (at)
tp(dot)net
writes:

<<
 I find it interesting that so many religious authorities, whatever their
 persuasion , are mistrustful of the spiritual effect of music.  One finds it
most
 strongly in "orthodox" communities, by which term I do not refer to the
Jewish
 religion per se, but to that contingent in any religious group that arrogates
 itself the "right" manner of observance.  So you find in fundamentalist Islam
bans
 against all musical performance save religious or "patriotic."  The same
applies
 to fundamentalist Chrisatian churches.  How many blues performers had to
retire or
 play only gospel music after "getting religion" in the Baptist church?  I
think it
 goes beyond the dichotomy between "body" and "soul."  Music, among all the
vices
 and sins, seems to be particularly threatening in that it *does* move the
spirit,
 but in a way that bypasses the "proper channels" and provides a direct link
to the
 divine.  In other words, it provides a mystical experience that must be
strongly
 opposed, in the name of law, order, and the State of God.  By the way, I grew
up
 as a Unitarian, where the only thing sinful in playing music is playing it
badly.
 Oy, have I sinned! >>

I just want to state for the record that Owen attributed Gary's post to me. I
never implied that any religious authority had a hand in the demise of Klezmer
among Orthodox Jews.

Jordan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->