Re: Popular Chassidic Music

It's interesting to hear people's takes on this Chassidic simcha music,
particularly the explanations given for its overall popularity in the
frum world. Some have suggested that there is a slowly growing backlash
against it and see a possible resurgence of interest in klezmer amongst
the frum. Maybe this is happening in New York but I see no signs of it
taking place in the black-hat community in which I live (Montreal),
which is generally up on all the Brooklyn trends. Personallly, I would
welcome such a reversal, not because I'm such a big fan of klezmer or an
opponent of rock ( I spent over 10 years gigging in a variety of
acoustic and electric bands, playing primarily blues, rockabilly,
vintage rock'n'roll, old time music, etc), but simply because, as
someone recently wrote, "religious songs joined with lame music are
lame".

The only objections I've heard from some of the local rabbonim have to
do with the volume of the music when played live and the fact that some
of the boys get a little too rowdy at chasenehs. And the latter only
seems to be of concern if the bochrim look like they're going to start
bumping into some of the older  guests, who usually have enough sense to
stay on the perimeter of the dance floor,  or crash into the sweet
table. Seems to me that the rabbonim understand these kids' need to
release their pent-up tension and, just like at Purim, are willing to
let them go a little wild at the odd chaseneh.

Interestingly enough, none of the rabbonim that I've spoken with voiced
any concern about the music per se. Maybe it has to do with the fact
that the music really isn't all that sexual. Yoel originally
characterized the style as European Rock,  i.e. what you would hear on
"Eurovision".  Personally, I'm not familar with any of the proponents of
this form (are we talking about Yanni, or an Abba-like derivative?), but
certainly the mere presence of electric guitars, drums, big bands
doesn't necessarily mean that the result is going to be oozing with sex.
(I mean, Patti Labelle reciting the alphabet is going to be more erotic
than Céline Dion with a 15-piece band).  Simcha music, to me anyway, is
characterized more by its monorhythmic oompa-oompa-oompa beat (sorry, I
didn't go to Juilliard), big production values, and overall lack of
nuance.  I don't hear any sexual tension and release at all.  And if you
look at the dancing that goes on at chasenehs, it may get wild at times
(only on the men's side), but there is hardly anything  suggestive about
it, unless a group of black-frocked men going around in circles does it
for you.

Gary
rebel without a clue

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->