Having a feel for the music

I heard a technically perfect but "soulless" rendition of Jewish Choral Music by
the Moscow Synagogue choir.  I strongly perceived the lack of feeling.

I also heard good choirs that would sing Lewandowski as if it were shmaltzy
Eastern Europen style and it felt "wrong".

Ideally, the performers should have a sense of the milieu, rote learning sounds
stilted.

Perhaps Perry Como had that problem with Kol Nidre.  I love Perry Como's
crooning style, but he might have missed the drama or majesty of Kol Nidre.

I guess the same can be said when I sing an Italia aria, that is to say it
probably sound awkward because I do not speak Italian.

Then there are interpretations.  I've grown up with some pieces being sung very
slowly, majestically that are then sung in a hyped up mode and it's hard for me
to relate.  (and vice versa).

This relates back to that Oleinu scene in the X-files.  Singing Oleinu with a
modern Israeli sepharidc pronuncitation while portryain chassidim is SO
incongruous.  I find a similar incongruity with some of the Beit Tefutsot stuff
when they sing Lewandowski with a sephardic pronunciation.  Somehow it doesn't
feel right.

OTOH, isn't amazing that Celine Dion can sing English with no accent yet speaks
it with a heavy French Canaidan accent?  similarly ABBA sang English wihtout a
Swedish Accent.

Regards,
Rich Wolpoe