Re: Re[2]: Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish

For what it's worth to future generations, I believe that Ben Gailing
(Boston Radio Show Host, Yiddish Author, Songwriter, Singer, Actor, Khazn,
etc.) did his own Yiddish translations of some Fiddler.  And I think Hankus
Netsky has some recordings of these, but they were only done for his radio
show.

Also, the Montreal Yiddish Theatre did their own translation of Fiddler
into Yiddish, under the direction of Dora Wasserman.  As far as I know,
everything was translated anew, not borrowing anything from the Israeli
version.  So I assume they their own unique translations of these songs.

Again, the Yiddish song database has a number of Yiddish recordings not
mentioned by Simon.  In particular, by Ben Bonus (late husband of the
very-much-alive Yiddish actress Mina Bern, who I think may have done some
of the translations).

Mark David

At 06:24 PM 11/21/98 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/16/1998 6:12:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>drosenberg (at) dht(dot)com writes:
>
><<
> The Yiddish version is "Ven ikh ben a Rothschild" (If I were a
> Rothschild). A quick check of the Jewish Music Web Site
> (www.jewishmusic.com) shows that the Jan Peerce Cassette/CD (which
> hopefully has the Yiddish lyrics transliterated) is available >>
>Here goes,
>
>These are the Yiddish vbersions of Fiddler On the Roof that I know about.
>
>Jan Bart recorded an entire album on Tikvah Record (OUTOF PRINT) of his own
>version of Fiddler.
>
>Jan Peerce has a recording, CD & Cassette featuring songs from Fiddler (in
>Yiddish)
>
>There WAS a Yiddish ORIGINAL cast recording on Fiddler in Yiddish from Israel
>on record and Cassete both are out of print, but we still have 5 copies in
>stock on cassette, if interested contact me by PHONE at 323)655-7083 since I
>will be without a computer for a week.
>
>There is a recording in Yiddish by Danny Delmin  from FRANCE that has a
number
>of selection from Fiddler on it. Good CD, one of the few baritones in Yiddish
>music.
>There are probably a few more out there , but that's all I have
>Simon
>Hatikvah Music

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->