RE: Re[2]: Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish

I really like the Israeli Yiddish cast album with Shmuel Rudensky, called
"A Fidler Afn Dakh".  If you enjoyed listening to the English cast album,
and want to try it in Yiddish, this is the ticket.  It's got snippets of
dialog from the play (in Yiddish), and really has the lively feeling of the
musical, as you'd want from a cast recording.  But it's even better because
it's in the _original_ original language, if not of the play, at least of
the stories by Sholem Aleichem upon which _Fiddler_ is based.

There have apparently been many other Fiddler recordings.  A search for
"Fiddler on the Roof" in the Yiddish Song Database
(http://www.cs.uky.edu/raphael-cgi-bin/yidsong.cgi) showed me that
translating and recording Yiddish versions of Fiddler was quite the
industry in the '70s.   I wonder how many different Yiddish translations
you could find -- I'd bet more than for any other language.

Regards,

Mark David

At 11:44 AM -0500 11/16/98, Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky wrote:
>Yes, it played in Israel for years and there is even a record with Shmuel
>Rodensky, its star, now deceased.  It's very good.
>

>Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->