Odessa

Judy Fertig wrote yesterday:

>I had  a bit of a stumper question yesterday and hope someone on the list
>can help. A person is looking for music he called "Jewish Music from
>Odessa", purportedly by Jewish criminals.(??)  He said it was circulating
>in Europe some time ago and would like to get a copy of this. Does anyone
>know of it and how to obtain a copy?
>PS
>I forgot to mention that I know there is a 1995 recording called Odessa
>Jewish Music from Russia by Sunset France but don't know about the contents
>of that and if it has anything to do with this descriptions given to me....
>thanks. Judy

Judy,
I think the answer to your question is an album we carry called, "Odessa:
Jewish Music from Russia" by the singer/accordian (Alik Berison) - clarinet
(Raymond van Houten) duo "Poza", released in 1995 by Sunset France. (We
very much like this album, and feature it in our catalogue.)
The liner notes mention the significance of Odessa as a refuge for people
of many lands, and the scene there pre-Stalin, including "The bravado of
the gangsters". One of the 14 songs, a traditional called "Limonchiki" is
described as a "Song from Odessa, where crime pays if you know what you are
doing".

There are 3 specifically cuts recognizable or identified as Jewish (a
freylakh, Misserlou, and fun der khupe)...

OK, here's the commerical.  If one is interested in purchasing it,the CD
costs $16.50 + $1.75 shipping (and, for Mass. residents, 83 cents sales
tax).  Checks payable to address below (credit cards coming within a
month...)

Zayt gezunt,
Dena Ressler

a bisl yidishkayt
P.O. Box 400331
Cambridge, MA  02140-0004

e-mail: yiddishmusic (at) valise(dot)com

phone (781) 643-1957 (Boston area)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->